In Minneapolis, Luka Dončić showcased his extraordinary skills once more.
As the Dallas Mavericks trailed by two points and the game approached its conclusion, Luka Dončić opted to leave the fate of Friday night's thrilling contest in the hands of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

In a twist of fate, Timberwolves center Rudy Gobert, known for his defensive prowess, found himself switched onto Dončić during a crucial high pick-and-roll in the final moments. Yet, in a matter of exhilarating seconds, Dončić defied expectations, sinking an awe-inspiring three-pointer over the outstretched arms of the 7-1 Gobert with just three seconds remaining. With this electrifying play, the Mavericks seized a thrilling 109-108 victory and dashed out of Target Center triumphantly.
Overcoming an 18-point deficit, the victory propelled the Mavs to a commanding 2-0 lead in the Western Conference Finals series. Historically, teams securing victories in the first two games of a best-of-seven series go on to win the series 92.5 percent of the time in NBA history.
The series now shifts to Dallas for the next two games, providing the Mavs with an opportunity to clinch and advance to the NBA Finals for the third time in franchise history. Game 3 is scheduled for Sunday at 7 p.m., followed by Game 4 on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
Renowned for his clutch performances throughout his career, Dončić received the ball with 12.8 seconds left following a turnover by Anthony Edwards, with Minnesota leading 108-106. After assessing the situation, Dončić maneuvered back and forth near the top of the key, leaving Gobert seemingly skating to keep pace with him.
In a dramatic moment, Dončić unleashed a high-arcing three-pointer over the four-time Defensive Player of the Year. As the shot swished through the net, the arena fell silent, captivated by the moment.
"I didn't have a predetermined plan," explained Dončić, who has a longstanding rivalry with Gobert. "I just read the defense and reacted accordingly.
"I wasn't anticipating the switch. We were simply running the pick-and-roll and adjusting on the fly. That was it."
Mavs coach Jason Kidd had a general idea of what would unfold in the final play for his team. Well, kind of.
"The plan was to get Luka the ball and let him work his magic in those critical moments," Kidd revealed. "We discussed the option of taking the two – we were only trailing by two points.
"But as Dončić began to maneuver around Gobert, it became clear that the step-back three-pointer was on the horizon, and the rest is history."
That step-back three-pointer capped off a magnificent evening for Dončić, who amassed 32 points, 10 rebounds, and 13 assists, securing his fourth triple-double in the last five games. In NBA playoff history, only Wilt Chamberlain, Magic Johnson, and Nikola Jokic have achieved four triple-doubles in a five-game span.
Aside from Dončić's heroic performance, the Mavs acknowledge that several factors had to align for them to secure the victory down the stretch. They had to navigate through an unusual sequence of events, starting with Kyrie Irving missing a pair of free throws with 1:44 remaining, while the Timberwolves held a 106-103 lead.
Subsequently, Anthony Edwards sank a couple of free throws, extending Minnesota's lead to 108-103 with 1:29 left. However, Irving responded with a clutch three-pointer, narrowing Dallas' deficit to 108-106 with 1:05 remaining.
Moments later, Edwards committed a crucial turnover, setting the stage for Dončić's game-winning three-pointer.
"I don't want to risk a fine, but after those two missed free throws, I was like, 'Holy cow, what's going on?'" Irving rhetorically pondered. "There were a lot of emotions swirling in my head, a brief moment of disappointment. The fans were going wild. I think they even got a free chicken out of it.
"When I missed, I think I was just as surprised as many in the arena. But in those moments, I have to stay focused and recognize the significance of those shots for our team. Adopting a next-play mentality was crucial, and I found myself in the corner, knocking down that three-pointer. It felt great to make those plays."
This culmination marked a night where the Mavs struggled in the first half, finding themselves trailing 58-40 with under four minutes left in the second quarter. However, after a halftime discussion with Kidd – trailing 60-48 at the break – Dallas reclaimed their rhythm in the second half.
"We had a productive halftime chat, and the guys executed the game plan. That's when we found ourselves back in the game," Kidd recounted. "We made it a bit more challenging with missed free throws, but ultimately, we prevailed."
"We were battling, but Minnesota is a formidable team, well-coached, and they came out with a lot of aggression," stated Mavericks coach Jason Kidd.
Minnesota's backup center Naz Reid proved particularly troublesome for the Mavericks, consistently sinking three-pointers with ease.
Reid ended the night with a team-leading 23 points, shooting an impressive 7-of-9 from beyond the arc. When Reid found himself wide open from downtown as the game clock wound down, all Dončić could do was admit, "I wasn't thinking. I almost passed out."









0 Comments